The complexity of California and federal law, which often differ or overlap, can lead to confusion and uncertainty over a variety of HR matters. How confident are you that your employees are properly trained? Do you know which laws apply to your organization? Are you classifying workers correctly? What you don’t know can hurt you and your business.
Small and mid-sized firms are especially vulnerable to the credo “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” or “It’s never been a problem before.” Unfortunately, failing to correct personnel issues and compliance requirements can result in fines/fees into the hundreds of thousands and even jail time for owners/agents.
Over the course of 17 years providing HR support, Cal/OSHA compliance, and employee administration, we have observed patterns and common errors among California companies. These observations led us to create an educational booklet entitled ‘10 Things Employers Do to Get Sued.’ Click here for access to the full booklet or see a summary below:
10 things that employers do to get sued:
- Making everyone an independent contractor
- Requiring employees to work through lunch without recording meal periods properly
- Paying everyone a salary/failing to confirm duties test
- An internet search in lieu of a background check
- Having a “Use it or Lose it” vacation policy
- Allowing employees to work any schedule they want
- Keeping their employee handbook too simple
- Withholding an employee’s final paycheck
- Forgetting to train managers about labor laws
- Failing to address employee performance problems early
OmegaComp HR supports the gaming industry by reducing employee-related exposures and improving OSHA & Labor Law compliance while providing expert guidance on employee-related matters. Whether your goal is to reduce costs, protect your business, or improve compliance, our team is here to help. Here are just a few examples of ways we support the Gaming industry.
- Assisting with HR compliance (hiring/terminations, wage & hour, handbooks, Cal/OSHA, ACA, harassment-free environment, etc.) and creating HR structure/policies to ensure the firm’s long-term sustainability
- Reducing labor hours/costs spent on non-revenue generating tasks
- Protecting the business/executive leadership – CA employers are fraught with ever-changing laws, regulations & oversight entities such as: DIR, Labor Commissioner, EDD, Cal/OSHA, EEOC, DFEH, etc.
- Providing expert training and real-time updates as labor laws and employee administrative laws change– a checks and balances system, which is delivered by a team of experts who never call in sick
- Leveraging expertise and technology to support improved timekeeping and wage and hour compliance
California Gaming Association members receive their first month FREE. Sign up in the next 90 days and we will also waive your set up fees!